Join us it's free! Giveaways, offers, competitions, chat and more!

Book club chat here tonight at 8.30pm to discuss 'The Woman who went to bed for a Year'

Hi everyone, why not pour your self a glass of wine and join us tonight at 8.30pm to chat about Sue Townsend's book The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year.

By the henhouse on 16.04.13 18:37

Shall I start the conversation about the book?;
By happy cow on
Ha!Ha! Well I thought this was a fun book to read and it really helped me smile during the miserable winter weather we had. I enjoyed the way Sue Townsend caricatured the main characters but I wonder what other people think?;
By happy cow on
Hi Happy Cow. Yes, what did you think? Did you enjoy the book?;
By the henhouse on
Hi It's garden girl here - I'm afraid that i didn't really enjoy it I found it a bit sort of obvious (although some bits were amusing);
By gardengirl on
Also, I really liked Adrian Mole so I think I had high expectations.;
By gardengirl on
Well yes I agree but I think that was intentional - to ham it up - as a comic devise and it conjured up some wonderful images e.g. A middle aged man wearing a towelling dressing gown and slippers to seduce his younger mistress! Made me laugh out loud;
By happy cow on
Oops sorry I'm late, just realised this was going on tonight - then forgot my password! I quite like her writing style, which is quite pacy and easy to read. I found it difficult to engage with some of the characters who I felt were a bit too much of a caricature. ;
By misskitty360 on
Yes I think you're right - I enjoyed the stuff about the twins at college even though they were , as you say, a bit of a comic device;
By gardengirl on
I guess you're right about the comic intentions - I think I was a little put off by the fact that I have a child heading off to uni this year. I don't think I'll be taking to my bed, but it certainly will provoke some reaction...;
By misskitty360 on
I donT think the main character was a very good role model as a mother though. She seemed to have post natal depression 18 years, rather than 18 days, after giving birth. She cut contact with the twins and became totally self absorbed. That made me a bit sad;
By happy cow on
Hi Miss Kitty, I was just agreeing with happy cow about some of it being a bit "intently comic device like" when you popped up. Do you think that the caricatures are intentional by Sue T ?;
By gardengirl on
I know - you just can't behave like that! I found it quite similar to one of her other books - the queen & I - which started out quite funny but had quite bleak undertones. ;
By misskitty360 on
I agree the main character did seem to be suffering some form of depression - maybe after her children had gone off to uni like her life as a mother was over.
;
By chattyhen on
Hi garden girl - yes, very much so, with Eva in the middle as the most 'real' character surrounded by these rather odd characters. How did she raise characters like Brian Jr and Brianne?!;
By misskitty360 on
I think you're right about depression chattyhen - going to bed would be such an unproductive thing to do, it's hardly a positive protest! I was outraged by the idea of Eva's mother in law trying to control what she wore when they were on holiday. Did you get the impression that Brian and his mother had succeeded in repressing her over the years? ;
By misskitty360 on
Sorry I'm late ( was watching the Sewing Bee). I had mixed feeling about the book. I got to the end, so it must have been fairly good and some bits were funny, but I couldn't warm to any of the characters. I agree with what Happy Cow said about the mum. She sat around feeling sorry for herself and being utterly selfish. Why didn't she do a grown-up gap year ? Voluntary work ? There are so many opportunities out there....so I did find her rather irritating.

;
By Little Pennant on
Hi Miss Kitty - Have to dash and pick eldest son up. Also to confess I skimmed the last few chapters as I was not enjoying it so much;
By gardengirl on
Hi nice to read the various coments about the book. I have mixed feelings about it. Some of it made me smile but there again she just gave up on life and although I can sympathise in a way because I feel that she had felt like a doormat to everyone before the twins went away to uni, especially to her husband, but to me, the bedroom drama became a bit too much. It also saddened me that she cut all contact with her twins but it seemed she felt it was their fault for not writing to her. ;
By Lucky Duck on
I had half an eye on the Sewing Bee too! ;
By misskitty360 on
Yes, there are so many other things she could have done with her life. In a way it felt as if she was from a different, older generation, not mine, but she's only 5 years older than me. So it felt unreal for her to be so much of a doormat - Pauline Mole seemed much more liberated!;
By misskitty360 on
Have you thought of any more books to share??;
By misskitty360 on
Still trying to decide about the next book do you have any ideas?;
By the henhouse on
Thanks everyone for all your great comments;
By the henhouse on
Sorry I don't know why this came up a second time.;
By Lucky Duck on

Login to leave a comment

Click here to login