Lamb and Vegetable Crumble
Who said crumbles had to be sweet!
This savoury cheese crumble is the perfect topping for minced lamb.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: Approximately 25-30 minutes
450g/1ib lean lamb mince
1 celery stick, finely chopped
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large sprig fresh rosemary
30ml/2tbsp plain flour
30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
45ml/3tbsp Worcestershire sauce
425ml/¾pint good, hot lamb stock
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
100g/4oz sweet corn
For the crumble:
75ml/3oz wholemeal flour
75ml/3oz plain flour
75g/3oz butter, cubed
100g/4oz mature Cheddar cheese, or similar, grated
30-45ml/2-3tbsp freshly chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190ºC, 350-375ºF
2. Heat the oil in a large non- stick pan and cook the mince in batches for 5-8 minutes until brown under a moderate heat.
3. Add the celery, onions and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the rosemary.
4. Stir in the plain flour, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
5. Spoon into a 1.2L/2pint ovenproof dish or four 300ml/½pint individual ovenproof dishes.
6. Meanwhile, to prepare the crumble, place flours into a large bowl. Rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and chives.
7. Bake the crumble for 30 minutes until bubbling.
8. Serve with new potatoes and green vegetables.
With thanks to simplybeefandlamb.co.uk for this recipe
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us please email email@example.com with brief details