Start growing your kitchen garden
- Sow salad seeds, lettuce and peas seeds into gutters filled with compost. As soon as they are established and the seedlings have two pairs of leaves, hoe a shallow trench and carefully slide the seedlings into their final postition; a job for two people as I have learnt to my cost! Gently firm their roots into the soil, water, then refill the gutters with compost, and start again.
- Erect runner bean poles and brace them securely. I like to build them in arches with lengths of water pipe so I can walk through the arch picking the beans as they hang down.
- Ensure potatoes have been ‘earthed up’ well to avoid harvesting green potatoes which have grown too near the soil surface.
- Not a vegetable, but keep sowing pots of cosmos for buckets of cut flowers all summer. My top flower for the cutting garden.
- Look out for little ‘leeklets’ in the markets. Planted out now, they will be ready before Christmas and will last in the ground all winter.
Are you a kitchen gardener?
What are you growing this season?
What jobs are you doing in your garden this month? Please let us know